I don't know about you all, but when it has been in the mid-90's (35°C) for a week like it has been here in Utah, I just don't have any desire to turn the oven on. And that is a problem for someone with a sourdough bread baking addiction like mine.
But know this, a slow cooker is a convenient way to bake bread (and other foods) in the summer without heating up your kitchen. And this recipe works like magic. The the whole process takes just 5–6 hours from start to finish.
And if that idea has not appeal, you can even bake bread in a Dutch Oven on your outdoor barbecue using your Dutch Oven and indirect heat.
Crockpot Sourdough Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup (100 g) active sourdough starter
- 1 1/3 cups + 2 tablespoons (350 g) water
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon (50 g) whole wheat flour
- 3 ¾ cups (450 g) bread flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) fine sea salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sourdough starter, water, whole wheat flour, and bread flour. Mix until a shaggy dough forms.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the salt to the dough with a bit more water and mix until it is well incorporated
- Then turn the dough. and stretch and fold it in the bowl.
In a stand mixer knead for 5-7 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, shape it into a loaf.
- Place the dough into a well floured proofing basket or well floured cotton towel in a bowl, cover it with plastic for 1–2 hours, or until doubled in size.
Leave the dough in the covered basket in your fridge overnight. When ready to bake, warm the dough back to room temperature before baking
- When ready to bake, place the loaf on parchment, score the loaf, and insert in to your heated crock pot. Cover with the lid.
- Cook the bread on high for 2-3 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 200°F [95°C].
- Let the bread cool completely before slicing and serving.
Tips for Bread Baking in a Slow Cooker:
- The amount of time the dough needs to rise will depend on the temperature of your kitchen. If it is warm, the dough may rise more quickly.
- If your loaf comes out too pale, you can easily brown it under your broiler. Just brush butter over the warm surface, and broil it for a minute. But watch for burning and you will have to turn on that darn oven.
You can also enjoy your delicious sourdough bread even in the Summer's heat by baking it on your outdoor BBQ. Read how here: