In this video, Martha Levie, Chief Baker at Abigail’s Oven tells us how to use a sourdough starter to make a deliciously decadent chocolate cake. And she has some serious experience with ten kids and a husband who loves this cake for birthdays. Because of the long ferment, this incredible cake delivers all the nutrition from whole wheat and cocoa available, and your family won’t even know it is actually good for them.
Sourdough Chocolate Cake.
1. Using an electric mixer or whisk, mix the sourdough starter, with milk or water until dissolved
2. Mix in the apple sauce, sweetener and vanilla.
3. Whisk together the flour, salt and cocoa in a separate bowl, then add to the wet ingredients and mix till smooth.
4. Cover and rest at room temperature for 6 to 12 hours.
Before Baking (next day)
5. Preheat the oven to 350° F (177°C).
6. Whip eggs in a bowl and dissolve the baking soda in 2 Tablespoons of
7. Add the whipped eggs and dissolved baking soda to the cake sponge and
mix thoroughly (the batter should bubble as the acidic acid reacts to the
8. Pour batter into a bundt pan, 2 9-inch rounds, or a a 9″ x 13″ pan.
9. Bake the cake on the center rack for 30 to 40 minutes, until it springs back
when lightly pressed in the center, and a cake tester comes out clean.
10. Heat cream in a saucepan over medium to low heat stirring constantly until hot.
11. Add chocolate chips and stir until melted.
12. Cool both ganache and cake 20 minutes before drizzling with topping and if desired, sprinkle with walnuts or pecans.
Be sure to share your comments on your sourdough cake baking comments below