This West coast sandwich is made on our Country Loaf with sautéed green and red peppers, sliced mushrooms, and thinly sliced red onions. Piled high with avocado, tender-crisp bacon, sliced turkey, and Provolone cheese layered between slices of sourdough bread. Each sandwich is grilled in butter.
This recipe makes four sandwiches:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 avocado large
- 1 pound sliced turkey breast
- 8 slices of bacon baked
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper strips
- 1 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper strips
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 8 (3/4-ounce) slices Provolone Cheese
- tomato slices optional
- lettuce optional
- Spread butter on 1 side of each bread slice; turn slices over. Set aside.
- Slice or mash avocado and place onto the unbuttered side of each bread slice.
- Top 4 bread slices with turkey.
- Fry bacon slices in a skillet with just enough water to barely cover each strip. Turn each strip once. Fry until the water has evaporated. Remove bacon to paper towel.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in olive oil in the skillet until sizzling; add green bell pepper, red bell pepper, mushrooms, and red onion. Sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 4-6 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Arrange cooked vegetables over turkey; layer each with 2 slices cheese and two strips of bacon.
- Top with remaining bread slices turned toward the inside.
- Heat skillet or griddle on medium heat.
Toast sandwiches, turning once, 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.