For National Sandwich Month who could turn down a traditional breakfast of French Toast made on Abigail's Oven REAL™ Sourdough Bread? And this recipe for Banana and Peanut Butter Stuffed French Toast is a National Winner in the 2022 Old Farmer’s Almanac recipe contest for banana recipes last year.
The Old Farmer’s Almanac says this recipe "…tied for first place in the 2022 […] recipe contest for bananas. We have always enjoyed the combination of peanut butter and bananas (here’s looking at you Elvis!) but turning it into French toast adds a whole new level of deliciousness! "
On our Cinnamon Swirl sourdough, you get to eat two winners in one! Abigail's Oven Cinnamon is our customer choice and the only sweet loaf we bake. It's guaranteed to make delicious French Toast fast for breakfast or brunch.
Here is our version that has been adapted for our award winner Cinnamon Swirl using a few different ingredients.
Banana and Peanut Butter Stuffed French Toast
- Whisk eggs, half-and-half, together with peanut butter powder (¼ cup peanut butter), sugar, and cinnamon.
- Prepare the bread by spreading the remaining peanut butter on one side of half of the slices of bread.
- Soak all slices of bread in the egg mixture.
- Just before grilling, slice bananas on top of slices covered with the peanut butter, then top each sandwich with the remaining slices.
- Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat, and grill each sandwich 3–4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. (Sometimes the sugar in our loaves melts out of the bread and caramelizes, so watch for over browning).
- You may opt to serve these drizzled with maple syrup and a sprinkel of confectioners’ sugar, but these are sweet enough on their own.
We hope you enjoy this award winning sandwich for your Sunday breakfast or brunch.
And remember, if you are looking for a place to get delicious sourdough bread for #NationalSandwichMonth, we are in more than 30 stores throughout Utah, at Farmers Markets in Ogden, SLC Downtown, Murray, So Jordan, Draper, Daybreak, Provo, and Spanish Fork. Of course, on weekdays you can always drop by The Store at the Bakery: Mon 12:00 PM-5:00 PM, Tue 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, and Wed-Fri 10:00 AM-5:00 PM, at 421 South 200 East in Spanish Fork, Utah
Author: Darryl Alder lives with his wife in Riverside Lodge, which is their home, along the Provo River in Utah. He is a retired career Scouter and outdoorsman who spent many hours over a campfire using a Dutch oven and loves sharing recipes for the kitchen and the campfire alike. You'll find many of his recipes on this blog and can follow him on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter.